"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

- Leo C. Rosten

Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Fortunate and The Unfortunate



I took this image with my mobile camera in a local train. Since it was only a VGA camera of poor quality, I was not able to get good picture quality. But while taking the picture, the only thing that seemed important to me was the realisation that there are so many people in this world who lead lives that are hardly secure. When I see this picture, I realise how fortunate I am, and what responsibility I am supposed to keep in my heart and mind and contribute something to the fulfilment of that responsibility. When I see this image, I realise how blessed a childhood I had. And I can not help seeing two contradictory images in my mind: a rich man's rich child with rich toys and a poor man's poor child with a bleak world to look at. I hope you too feel the same.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you have said here shows that you have a good heart. Even though this is not one of your high quality photographs it still speaks.

I have added myslef as one of your followers, using my Google account.

Subhanjan said...

Thank you so much.

Tanmoy said...

Photos some time carry lot of messages. I don't know if you had time to read the links that I provide on my lengthy posts but recently I referred to the Armero Tragedy. This tragedy came to be known in the world because of one photograph. Here is the interview of Frank Fournier- the photographer.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4231020.stm

Well done Subhanjan. Keep clicking. Now it is time to get noticed slowly. Try and write emails to established photographers.

Regards

Tanmoy

Anonymous said...

Subhanjan,

I see that now-a-days there is a shift in the theme of your photographs. Your recent photos, in addition to being excellent from the technical perspective; also aim to deliver a strong social message to the reader. I am mighty impressed (and stirred) by this!

Regarding this particular snap, yes - I too feel the same. It is unfortunate - but true. I had written about something similar when I saw a child beggar.

Anonymous said...

nice shot!

Dan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Subhanjan. And thanks for the link you shared. It is FuN! You have some outstanding work here. I, too, love great photos of children. I will be following along. All the best to you.