"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

- Leo C. Rosten

Monday, December 29, 2008

Joy at Chennai



                                                            (click to see larger version)

For almost four years I had not seen the sea. So as soon as I landed at the Chennai airport, I simply could not wait to feel the splash of salty waves on my feet. After checking into my hotel, I took my camera and made my way to the Marina Beach. Marina Beach, to many, is ‘dirty’ and ‘too long to cross’. But to me, and to many other photographers too, it is a spectacular and colourful area. The aroma of cooked fish, the colourful and variant shells sold at the shops, large number of people engaged in bargaining, the softness of sand, and the roaring of waves make Marina Beach one of the many interesting places on earth where one can have hundreds of frames to be photographed. When I saw the waves for the first time, I was so much overwhelmed with profound bliss that I stood still and kept on gazing at the huge expanse of the deep blue sea. I managed to keep a short record of my joy. The picture above shows myself waiting for the cool waves, and then fortuned with a nice soft wave splashing on my feet. As you go from picture 1 to 4, you can see my feet being surrounded by the wave coming in and then flowing out gently.   


                                                                (click to see larger version)

That day I took several pictures on the beach. For the first time I had managed to take quite a good number of pictures on a trip. I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of frames that passed before my eyes. Though I was unable to take all of them, I did manage to take many. Children buying toys and hats, children playing on sand and in water, boys and girls chatting and laughing in groups, shops displaying variant things made of shells found on sea shores, women making flower necklaces, fishermen coming in with their boats loaded with fish, families standing on the beach and waiting for the waves to come in and wet their feet. It was such a joyous environment that I had almost grown fatigued of it. 


                                                                (click to see larger version)

The beach that I liked most was the Kovalam beach. The sea over there was relatively calm and thus gave a very pleasant and soothing feeling – much different from the dynamic attitude one sees in the sea along the Marina and Golden beach. The waves were short and even tiny tots could dip their legs in the water without having any worry or fear. I took many interesting pictures there. This little boy (above) caught my attention, and I quickly took his picture. I hope you like it.


                                                                       (click to see larger version)

The Golden Beach had a different appeal altogether. It is a beach cum amusement park. You have the roller coaster, the merry-go-round, the toy-train, the time machine, the food court, and a beautiful beach. Waves come with good force and give you a lot of scope for enjoyment. I had many good shots there too. I tried some panning too, and was lucky enough to have a few good pans. 

As I am sitting here and typing these words, my mind is refusing to accept that I will not see the sea again for a long time. 



                                                                                 (click to see larger version)  

When I was leaving Chennai, I was looking down on the sea from the sky like a prisoner being taken away from the world of true bliss. I could see the string like waves from high above and wondering how far-fetched human wishes are. And if at all they are fulfilled, God gives temporary satisfactions, and then takes them away from you. May be because you will feel happier the next time you find that joy. 



19 comments:

Hu said...

I did get a chance to read Eleven Minutes, and I was able to finish up "By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept".

Eleven Minutes was very interesting! I was completly thrown off. It was quiet different from his other novels. I enjoyed it very much but Im not quiet sure how much I agreed with the ending...

Would u have any other novels to recommend? Ive been in the mood to read. Maybe because I'd like to seek comfort in worlds far away and made up by great minds.

I'm am really enjoying your photographs! The ones that show the current of the waves are amazing....its so beautiful and hard to catch in a photograph!

a.erakkil said...

wow.! u been to chennai...!
u know the best part of my stay in chennai has been those memorable strolls across the golden sands n the infinite waves..!
n guess u made best use of the photo opportunity..good captures..!
wish u had got to capture some sun-rise pictures too..

Anonymous said...

Hi Subhanjan,

Great snaps .. I particularly liked the "foortprints" one .. and the 4th snap - the one with a single pebble (??) at the edge.

It would be great if you could post details on how you took the snap of that pebble .. was the wave approaching or receding? I assume it was approaching .. because if it had been receding; then the stone might have been disturbed during the 1-2 second exposure .. again I might be wrong.. just a hunch.

And what about the light "gradient" as you move from bottom left of the pic to top right? Was the natural light that way? or is it post-processed?

I guess i'm asking too many question .. but amateurs are curios [;)] ..

Tanmoy said...

I have never been down South other than a 3-day trip to Kochi. These pictures are really nice. I have also heard the Chennai beaches are dirty but your lens did capture some great moments. Forgive me for being unable to comment on the technical aspects however the joy you provide with these pictures are immense.

Subhanjan said...

Dear Eiehua (if that is your name),

I am glad to see that you are into reading and want to read more. Reading is becoming a dying art these days. It is good to see that you are into reading. ‘Eleven Minutes’’ is a must read and so is By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept’. ‘Eleven Minutes’ is a very important book as it teaches a lot on love, dreams and sexuality. It goes into the depth of sadomasochism as well as pure love. It feels good that you have been able to appreciate it.

You can go on reading as much as you want and whatever you want. Taste different kinds of books and do not restrict yourself to classics. I personally prefer fact to fiction. Fact is closer to life and is much more bizarre. Read the lives of great men and women. You will know of everything from love to sexuality, from dreams to nightmares, from joy to sorrow, from particle physics to charity. I suggest you to go for biographies. Then read classics.

Happy reading!


Dear Anoop,

I wish I had stayed longer. Unfortunately I was not able to take any picture of sunrise because it was winter and the upper layers of the atmosphere were foggy. I think good pictures of sunrise would need a good camera with good sensor to detect the details. I am using my compact for the kind of photography that it is not suited for. I just can not wait for my D60 with an 18-200 mm lens. On this trip I had also made friends with a photographer from Florida and a child from Washington. It was a very nice trip.


Dear Kiran,

Thank you a lot for coming to my blog and for asking questions. Learning is an endless process and calls for lots of questioning.

The wave was receding. I have taken more than a hundred good pictures. So I do not exactly remember what the situation was at that moment. But from the picture it is apparent that the wave was receding. The ball (not a stone), was at the point where the wave was not reaching. That is why it is undisturbed. The most important thing of a picture is its composition. This picture would have had no charm without the ball. Then comes your settings. My settings were: ISO 80, metering set to Centre Weighted Average, shutter speed to 1/20 (remember at the edges a wave it is moving fast), aperture to 5.6 for depth of field, and white balance set to the highest contrast level available in my camera. After this comes post processing. Every picture needs dark room refinement. And while processing, a photographer must not turn into a bluffer. He must not add or subtract anything. SO try to avoid that. In this picture I played a little bit with light curves. That was all.

And as far as the gradient thing that you talked of, I think you mean the portrait of the child. That is a dark room technique to highlight the subject. For that you can use Spotlight, Omni, or Directional Lighting Effects available in Photoshop.


Dear Tanmoyda,

That my pictures had given joy to you has added purpose to my images. If my images do not give rise to alacrity in the heart of the viewers, what is the use? I am so happy that you enjoyed my pictures. There is no need for technical evaluation. If my pictures have given joy to their viewers, I believe they are good pictures.

Thank you all for your precious time and comments. Thank you so much. You add meanings to my pictures. What more can I expect!

Anonymous said...

Hi Subhanjan,

Thanks again. These tips are really helpful. I guess now's the right time for me to start learning Photoshop/GIMP. I normally perform very basic post-processing (Auto-adjust in IrfanView/ I'm Feeling Lucky in Picasa etc). But from your comments, it is apparent that I need to climb a few steps here!

As to pictures on my blog.. well, I have set myself a realistic target of one post a fortnight (in the past I had set very optimistic targets for other blogs and flopped ;). Further, the fact that only 1% of the snaps that I click are anywhere near "decent" doesnt help. I dont want to exhaust my stock by posting more often :D

a.erakkil said...

yes Subhanjan..
i've been in Chennai since last December...a year now n going on..!
hey ya its winter now..its been only a week since the temperatures really dropped...its kinds hot n sultry all around the year here..except for a few weeks of rains in between..!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Subhanjan said...

Dear Kiran,

You indeed need to go above Picasa. It is a poor quality software with limited features. Moreover you can not process RAW images. Adobe Lightroom, or Photoshop CS2,or Nikon Capture NX2 is mandatory for darkroom techniques in digital photography.

Subhanjan said...

I can not understand how Fortune park hotels came across my blog. Is my blog for advertising? I think it is not. I would like to know which member of Fortune came across my blog and why did he or she advertise. There is nothing wrong with the advertising. But is it not necessary to contact the blog owner for that?

Tanmoy said...

Hi Subhanjan

(Response to comments on my blog)

I watched Amu on youtube. I have posted the link on my blog.

All pictures on my blog are shot by me. So far none from the net.

Take care

Saikat said...

your style of depicting a story through your third eye always encourages me and shots are simply awesome.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

It is good to see that you are now beginning to get some idea of what 'enjoying life' can truly mean. You will find out, eventually, that you do not even need to take along that camera. Some of the finest travel writers never do!

(P.S.: Why did you publish that trash advertising a certain group of hotels?)
Sir

Subhanjan said...

Dear Sir,

I have deleted that advertisement. I wonder how Fortune Hotels came across my blog. This is not a personal website. Nor am I a well known person. Then how did they come to know of my blog? I was surprised and angry as well.

It is so true that we take photographs or paint pictures because we are not capable of making a picture in the mind of a person with beautiful usage of language. One does not need a camera to enjoy the world. Ones own eyes and heart are the kinds of cameras that no Nikon will ever be able to make. What we do is that we merely document - either by pen or by colours or by taking photographs. What is important is the heart behind that pen, or brush, or lens. This is true for any art.

Dear Tanmoyda,

I was enchanted by the brilliant colour and beauty of that tree on your blog. It is a gift to have seen such creations and a pleasure to document them.

Dear Saikat,

I am glad to be a friend who qualifies to have such honour from a friend like you. I believe I am a little bit different than all those friends with whom you may be partying around. And I believe it is this difference that has been able to make you say such words to me. I wish I can be a friend of whom my friends will be proud some day.

pinaki said...

subhanjan, thanks for the nice perceptive comments on my blog. you do have a flair for photography more than that you have a keen eye of the mundane which according to me is the hallmark of someone who is going to create. i will definitely follow your blog with interest.

Subhanjan said...

Thank You Mr. Pinaki for dropping by my blog. I have heard a lot of you from Subrata Ray Chaudhury (one of my favourite teachers) and I am glad to have your comment. I know nothing of photography and try to do as much as I can. Art, according to me, is a pain-staking process of learning and it does not depend only on how good an eye or heart you have. I wish to learn more from the comments of people like you who are in the field of arts and understand it. I am glad that you liked my pictures. I must also say that you are doing very good work. It is noteworthy that prestigious publications like Penguin and Harper Collins commission you for their cover designs. I Thank You once again.

floreta said...

i like your photography! you are very good with 'action' shots!

Santanu Sinha Chaudhuri said...

Lovely pictures and well written text to go with them. The photograph where a man's footsteps are being washed away by the sea has a philosophical undertone. I also liked the picture of the small boy looking at older people. It is a beautiful composition, but more importantly, I could almost see the wonder on his face, although we are looking at him from behind!

Anonymous said...

these are really nice photographs...I loved the first collage showing the waves coming and washing the feet...brilliant concept....