"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

- Leo C. Rosten

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Blood Is Shed Yet Again

Photo Courtesy: Fox News

Events of violence and terror are spread all across the world. Sporadic gunfire has taken place in the central Nigerian city of Jos, where at least two to three hundred people have died following two days of ethnic and religious clashes between Muslims and Christians. Accusations that an election had been rigged were the prime forces driving the violence. Inter-communal violence has claimed more than 1000 lives in Nigeria since 2001. 

There is no end to violence. With every passing day the world is taking a giant leap forward towards the Doomsday. What a world we are creating for our children! It pains me to even think of these things. I have always tried to look at the good things of the world, thereby telling myself that there is still a lot of LOVE and beauty that is keeping this planet alive. But now I have started to hate mankind. We really need another Great Flood and another Noah. 


2 comments:

Santanu Sinha Chaudhuri said...

No, Subhanjan, I disagree most strongly.

If we lose hope, we lose everything. If we lose hope, people who kill, whether in Nigeria, Kandhamal or Mumbai, win.

Alka Dwivedi said...

First time I tried to leave a comment. it got angry with me and didn't accept my mail account! :-(
Don't lose hope. THis place has people like you who are so passionate and have a strong sense of right and wrong. I read you posts and watch your snaps and I often thought that if I can be like you and draw such brilliant sketches and have the power to make ordinary look extraordinary! Don't lose hope. You are too young to be cynical.