"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

- Leo C. Rosten

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Little Girl and Her Smile



Here is a little girl from a nearby village. I like her expression a lot. I find her restricted smile hiding a life that is too hard for us to comprehend. Her eyes tell a story to me. 

5 comments:

Ron said...

Wow, great capture!
Her eyes do speak stories. Stories of hardship and sadness--but her little smirk and the gloss in her eyes also show HOPE.

India was one of my favorite countries to shoot in--mainly because of people like her. Looking forward to going back there soon.

Alka Dwivedi said...

You are right. Her eyes and smile is beyond our comprehension. Lagta hai jaise "gagar mei sagar" samaya hua hai. I don't know how to write that in English.

Subhanjan said...

Dear Ron,

I am glad to see that you are seeing HOPE. But we have seen so much that we simply can not HOPE. Days go by with no change.

Dear Alkadi,

No matter in what language you express yourself, as long as it is important, decent, and expressive, it is al right. I am glad that you liked the picture and that it has made you think.

Dan said...

Subhanjan,
I did not see YOUR post prior to writing my post today. Coincidently, they are both about smiles. In fact, your comment from yesterday inspired me to write my post today. Your comment reminded me of how lucky we are to be human. I wish I didn't need to be reminded. As much as I am thankful, I take it for granted too often.

Subhanjan said...

Yes Dan it is a coincidence indeed. I liked your picture too. It has a lot of warmth in it.