"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

- Leo C. Rosten

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Launch Of My Website





Dear Readers,

For quite sometime I had been thinking of having a website on my photography where I can display my work with proper categorisation. It was necessary to have a site as there has had been several occasions where I had been asked if I had a personal site. But I was unable to furnish something like that. And a blog does not do much good from that point of view as a blog has its limitations in terms of displaying ones work. Moreover my blog is not only about pictures, but even beyond that. I do not want to use my blog as a platform for business or to get recognition. In my blog I want to interact with you all and ponder on important things like 'love' and 'life'. I want my blog to be on an intellectual level rather than commercial level. 

So finally I found out a way to have a separate site only on my photography. So I launched a personal website through www.wix.com. There I have displayed many of my pictures. You may go to the following link to have a look at my work. 


It was very hard work to make that website. I worked for complete 12 hours constantly with a break of only 1 hour for having my food. It was very complicated as I was a total novice. More than that, I did not use the templates offered by the site, and designed the entire thing myself. It was very hard work with frequent 'crashes' of the internet explorer and the internet connection. I will be looking forward to your feedback on my website. I hope you will like it.  You will get to see many pictures which you had not seen on this blog. In the mean time, I will go on posting new pictures on the website and also on my blog. We will do all our discussions on this blog. 

Thank you all for your cooperation and inspiration that you had given me so long. 

Regards,

Subhanjan.
 

10 comments:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Smart work, Subhanjan. I wish you good luck in your endeavour. I'll be glad to hear that your work is beginning to bear fruit in a way that brings you satisfaction.
Sir

Subhanjan said...

Thank you so much for your inspiration Sir. I am glad to have had you as my mentor. My outlook towards life changed on the very day of my first moral science class in class 9. I knew I had come in contact with someone different and far advanced than any Tom, Dick and Harry.

Tanmoy said...

Congratulations. The website looks nice and professional too. I am happy to see this. I love the 'About Me' section.

Few small comments.

1. In the gallery section where you have categorised the pictures, can we replace the word 'Enter' with something more cordial. Say, 'Please visit' or anything more suitable.

2. Contact me serves as a perfect place like a guestbook or feedback. However, I would urge that you provide your email address as say subhanjan[dot]sengupta[at]gmail[dot]com instead of the way you have put. Some friends of mine told me long back that otherwise you tend to attract lot many spams in your email box.

3. Finally whenever you sit next, do name each and every photograph of yours and if possible put a date.

I am happy that you have taken strides on this passion of yours. Starting with whatever is under our control is the first big step.

Regards

Tanmoy


PS: Ms. Potter is not really an excellent film in that sense. Just that it made me think about Children's literature. I watched it on television. I do not know whether it can be downloaded.

Anonymous said...

I think that is a really good idea, Subhanjan. I look forward to further conversations on here with you about, 'love', 'life' and othe intellectual matters.

Carole

Subhanjan said...

Thank you Carol for your compliments. I speak of 'love', 'life' and other matters more through my pictures rather than words. But I will write on such themes soon.

Subhanjan said...

Dear Tanmoyda,

I am so glad that you took enough care to point out certain aspects about my site that need to be modified. I have already changed 'Enter' to 'Please Visit'. But I think it will not be a good idea to write the e-mail ID in the way you said, because somehow (and this is personal opinion) it looks a bit weird, and unconventional. In fact in all the websites of several photographers that I have visited, I have not seen anyone of them writing the ID in that manner. I think it will be unprofessional to do so. And I would have liked to give titles to my pictures if I had not been against this concept as I believe that a good picture does not need a title but has the power to convey what it wants to convey. I want my audience to think on my pictures, rather than believe in something imposed by me. And giving dates is very much unprofessional for photographers. I do not know why. But it is a norm.

I look forward to many more valuable suggestions from you. I am glad that I am fortunate enough to have such caring acquaintance.

Regards,

Subhanjan

wannabewodehouse said...

Subhanjan

The still life section is breathtaking. I could not open the other two. It is taking too long. Will try again.

Subhanjan said...

I have not been able to take enough pictures of still life. Actually table top photography demands a separate studio set up, without which table top photography is practically impossible to practise. But I am glad that you liked my pictures.

The other two sections are taking time to open as there are many pictures in those two sections. Moreover flash presentations do take time. But I have no option but to use flash presentations. I could have used Java, but for that I would have needed to shade a lot of cash for hiring a web site designer and for creating a separate internet domain solely for my website.

Alka Dwivedi said...

Subhanjan, I visited your site many times. Whenever I feel like I visit your site and clicked on any of your snaps in any category. You have done the right thing by having your own site. Hope you get it converted to Java soon.
Tanmoy was right about captions. It will make your site search engine friendly. :-) Though I have a very little knowledge of internet or photography. But I am not shying away from giving advice. :-)

Subhanjan said...

Dear Alkadi,

It really does not matter much if you don't know much of photography. Once a photograph is taken, the photographer is dead after that. The rest is on the viewer. So look into your heart and mind and feel free to give a comment. As a photographer I need to know different persepctives coming from different people.

Regards,

Subhanjan.