"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

- Leo C. Rosten

Friday, April 22, 2011

Revival

It has been quite some time that I was confused and was quite persistent in staying confused regarding what it is that I would like to do in my life. It is has been surprising for me to see myself in such a state because till four years ago I was quite sure that I need to do what I love to do. The only thing is that I had to find out what is it that I love to do. But after I finished my graduation, I started creating confusion in my own self. While some relationships started getting ruined, some were built up. I was not sure whether I want to earn or study further. Family crisis added gasoline to the fire. And from a student of literature I ended up in insurance selling; which again followed by unemployment for some time as I started my photography seriously, and then a detour to management education as I became money minded. And I also ruined my relationship with a very good teacher in the process. I would never be even 1/10th of the quality that is there in him. And to make matters worse, by the end of management education not only did I start loosing my mind as I knew not what to do and what is it that I want, I also lost my beloved (rather I should say that she forsook me, the actual reason for which she has not yet been clear to me). I took up job in a snazzy corporate office as a part of the corporate HR team of one of the largest multi-billion US Dollar business conglomerates. I felt WOW - cozy chair, comforting air conditioner, greasy burgers, modern corporate architecture, and new upcoming business divisions. Having been there for some time, I became the best bore ever. Forgot books, forgot music, forgot photography, forgot those dreams of doing something significant, forgot social sensitivities, and forgot the real sense and meaning of 'management'. So I resigned last week.

Today I sit here typing this post, with no job, but planning to start all over again, set my priorities, and find out something that I would like to do - photography, mentoring, coaching, research, whatever it may be, but something that would be fulfilling.

Today I am reviving this old blog of mine, by giving it a new look, new feel and new dimension. This blog will no more be solely on photography, but on various issues of this world and our lives that we can reflect deeply upon. With this, I invite all of you on a new journey. Welcome aboard.

1 comment:

journalist said...

Getting to do what one wants to do in life may not be easy. But one thing is certain -- if you enjoy your work, it does not remain work any more. It becomes play. Unfortunately, most of us spend a lifetime trying to realize what is it that I want to do. The beginning of this serious investigation is to first decide what I don't want to do. Hence, if one has already taken a decision that a corporate job is the thing that one doesn't want to do, it's the best beginning of this exercise in introspection.