"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

- Leo C. Rosten

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

About Me and my blog

Emotional, sensitive, curious, and passionate – that’s what describes me best. I like to ponder on life and love. With my belief in existentialism and individualism, I might be charming as well as obnoxious. But fortunately, I have been loved and liked by many and hated by very few. As far as my passions are concerned, here I am with one of those: photography.

My love for and enthusiasm in photography has offered me the opportunity to document my perspective of the world. For some the medium is writing, for some it is singing, for some it may be going on adventures, and for me it is taking pictures of the world. But my photography is defined by my love for the world, and hatred as well. When one goes through the works of contemporary photo journalists like G. M. B. Akash, one sees things that stir one's feelings on the world and troubles him. This is important. But it is also important to portray the good things of the world. Such as works of Elliott Erwitt. Humour enlivens his pictures, thereby giving us a sense of satisfaction that the world is still a wonderful place to live in. I, as an amateur photographer, love to take a snap of anything that catches my eyes, whether it is of joy or of pain. When I walk on the streets, I use my eyes as the lens of a camera and try to capture every frame possible on the street. That helps me to improve my skills and my eyes. This exercise is also complemented by my daily analysis of several photographs taken by renowned photographers. That really helps me to improve. But there is another important thing that needs to be mentioned. And that is the necessity of good taste. Frankly speaking, I would not have been what I am today without Mozart, Rembrandt, and Tolstoy. When you see the bells of a temple, you are reminded of “For Whom the Bell Tolls”. If you have a camera you will quickly take it up and perhaps take a great snap of a devotee ringing the bell of the temple. But I do not believe that you can take the picture if you have not loved literature. Likewise, it is necessary to be a romantic and to love Wordsworth or Tagore in order to become a good photographer. So also with your love for music. How can you take a wonderful portrait of a violinist if you have not loved the violin and the symphonies composed to be played on it?

I am new to photography. And this is my first blog. In this blog I have uploaded a few photographs that are some of my best. For taking only a few worthwhile pictures, I have taken innumerable frames. These are only a few of the hundreds of photographs that I have taken till today. I know my efforts might be totally worthless. And that is why this blog is an effort of mine to reach out to the viewers so that I come to understand where my pictures stand in their eyes.

Apart from my photographs, I have also uploaded a few sketches of mine. I love sketching and painting too. They too form a special part of my life. In photography, there are four categories:

1. People

2. Nature

3. Computers

4. Miscellaneous

You will find the labels on the column to the left of this page. You may choose the category you want to visit and give your valuable comments.

I will be more than happy to have your comments. I need to improve. And I can not do it without your help. Any suggestion is welcome. I will also be deeply obliged if you vote on the quality of my photography. The voting machine is at the bottom of this page. You may even be my follower if you want to. By clicking the 'Follow this blog' link on the top left of this page, you may add yourself to the list of my followers. I will be extremely glad.

Happy browsing!

8 comments:

Tanmoy said...

I always liked your pictures whenever I saw them. Good that you started a blog.

My best wishes.

Subhanjan said...

Thank you Tanmoyda.

Alka Dwivedi said...

You are a genius. One day you will make all your near and dear ones proud. Keep the good work up!

Subhanjan said...

Thank you Alkadi for your inspiration. But it is a long way to reach that level. Very few in this world have.

Santanu Sinha Chaudhuri said...

I am happy that you have put your pictures on a blog and thank you for telling me about it. I will certainly see your pictures from time to time.

Our whole family went through your snaps and everyone thought your pictures were wonderful.

I was also impressed by the introduction to your photographs. Obviously, lot of thoughts go into your pictures. I am sure the thoughts you put in before you press the shutter add to the depth and richness of your pictures.

Let me point out what seemed to me a typo. Perhaps you meant labels instead of levels.

Subhanjan said...

Thank You Mr. Chaudhuri for your comments. I have corrected the error. It was such an awful mistake.

That frog came as a real surprise to me. I was studying when I noticed it on the window. It is one of my best shots. Since the frog was sleeping, I was able to get many shots. This one had clear focus and good placement of subject.

The essence of photography lies in how good you are at observing your ambience. A brilliant eye and a wonderful heart is all that photography needs. Then comes the camera. It is important to note that one does not need a very expensive camera for photography; like the Nikon D3, which costs around 2 lakhs. But one should also understand that one cannot pursue this art seriously if one has a low range camera, or a compact camera for that matter. The manual mode of a compact camera is of not much use. So a middle range DSLR like the D60 or D40 is very essential for all kinds of photography. Those who say that the need for a DSLR is 'bakwas' and that photography is 'only about the eye', I strongly disagree with them. Even all the amateur and professional photographers that you may encounter will say you the same thing.

You see I do not have a camera. A DSLR is too costly for me. I use a compact camera of a sister who is kind enough to lend me hers. I wish I have a camera soon. I often pray God to give me a well-paid job on January so that I can work till June (as my MBA will start from July)and save enough money to buy a D60, with 18 to 105 mm lens. I need at least Rs. 40,000. I hope I succeed.

Take care,

Regards,

Subhanjan.

a.erakkil said...

hey bro..!
thnks for droppin in ma blog...n the comments.'good to see passionate photogs on blogosphere...!
//...the opportunity to document my perspective of the world..// ur clicks expresses it..candid and spontaneous....esp the people clicks..!loved it..! n the sketches are good too.!!!
keep up te good work..
looking fwd for the best..!
cheers:)

Kiran said...

Hi Subhanjan,

I am awe-struck by your pictures. You call yourself "new to photography"?? you must be kidding. All your snaps are pretty impressive.

I have already subscribed to your feed; and added you to my blogroll. You can expect lot more comments/suggestions/request-for-advice from me in the future :-)

Cheers to photography